This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some cookies on this site are essential, and the site won't work as expected without them. Read More

General Enquiries: 01249 712232
Appointments: 01249 713019
Cancel Appointments: 01249 717030
Fax: 01249 701389

Out of Hours: 
NHS 111

Beechfield Road, Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13 9DL [Map]

Mental Health


One in four affected


It's easy to think that mental health issues don't concern us, but in fact a quarter of us will have problems with our mental wellbeing at some time in our lives.


Mental health problems are equally common in men and women, but the types of problems differ. Women are one-and-a-half times more likely to be affected by anxiety and depression, while men suffer more from substance abuse (one in eight men is dependent on alcohol) and anti-social personality disorders. Men are also more prone to suicide: British men are three times more likely than British women to die as a result of suicide.


Serious mental health problems are also more common than you might think. One person in 100 has a severe mental health condition such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.


All these figures are based on people who have sought help for their mental health problems. Many more could be living with undiagnosed mental health issues, according to mental health charity MIND.


If you're worried about your mental health, or if someone in your life is affected, there are plenty of ways to get help. Find out more about mental health support.


You can also contact mental health charities such as Sane and the Mental Health Foundation.


Read more at NHS Choices


Self Help for Stress


Stress is our emotional and physical response to pressure.  That pressure can arise from external factors including life events, illness(ourselves or someone close to us) living conditions, work, home and family, study, lack of some necessity, or the demands we place on ourselves.  Even those evnets we see as stressful, such as holidays, moving home, starting a better job, pregnancy, parenthoood, Christmas etc.


The following link www.getselfhelp.co.uk/stress.htm


  • Thoughts
  • Emotions
  • Physical sensations
  • Behaviour
  • Identifying what's making you stressed
  • Doing things differently


Useful Websites

Anxiety and Depression


Wiltshire IAPT Service (Improving Access to Psychology Services)


Wiltshire IAPT provides psychological services to the people of Wiltshire.  They offer a high quality service that includes traditional IAPT interventions.


The service provides a wide range of support through GP surgeries to anyone with common emotional and mental health difficulties, primarily those associated with anxiety and depression.  The Wiltshire IAPT services range from self-help therapies, to pycho-educational courses and one to one support.


The service is available to anyone over the age of 16 registered with a GP practice within Wiltshire. 


Appointments with a Psychology Practitioner can be arranged through calling the Wiltshire IAPT office on 01380 731 335.


For more information please visit the following link https://iapt-wilts.awp.nhs.uk/


Get Self Help


Get Self Help is a website based on CBT techniques and information.  It has a wide range of downloadable worksheets, lots of information on a range of disorders such as anxiety, depression, eating disorders, self-esteem and anger.  It also has links to other useful websites.




Moodjuice is designed to offer information and advice to those experiencing troublesome thoughts, feelings and actions.  From this site you are able to print off various self-help guides covering conditions such as depression, anxiety, stress, panic and sleep problems.  In the site an individual can explore various aspects of life that may cause some distress and on the press of a button can obtain information on organisations, services and other self-help materials such as Self-help guides that can offer advice, support and information.


No More Panic


No More Panic provides information for sufferers and carers of people with panic, anxiety, phobias and OCD.  It aims to provide information, support and advice.  There is information on the website alongside a chat forum.




Mind provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. We campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding.




www.cruse.org.uk  Tel: 0808 808 1677 /01761 417 250


Cruse offers bereavement care and is the leading national charity for bereaved people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. We offer support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies and work to enhance societies care of bereaved people. 



Carers Support UK please see the main carer’s page on the left hand side of the website.


Domestic Abuse

SPLITZ Support Service


Tel: 01225 775276


The freedom programme



Victim Support

Tel: 01380 738 838


Drugs and Alcohol

Turning Point

www.turning-point.co.uk  Tel: 0345 603 6993


Famlies Out Loud - Supporting adults in Wiltshire affected by another person’s addiction


How addiction affects families & loved ones

  • Feeling distressed because a loved-one is leading a chaotic life
  • Experiencing threatening behaviour from someone they love
  • Feeling out of control because of someone else’s behaviour

The charity works within Wilshire with meetings in Chippenham, Corsham and Trowbridge


If you need help or would like to find out more about Families Out Loud please contact them below:


Telephone: 07444098427

Website: www.familiesoutloud.org

Email: familiesoutloud@gmail.com         

Or find them on Facebook


Talking works. Let’s talk.



Wiltshire Addiction Support WASP

www.addiction-support.co.uk  Tel: 01225 775558


Eating Problems




Mind- Counselling service/carers service/drop ins Tel: 01225 706532


Housing problems/Benefit advice

Citizens Advice Bureau CAB


Shelter www.shelter.org.uk




A useful website which focuses on benefits and to check eligibility for benefits and grants.  People put in the details and it shows what they are entitled to.  They also offer telephone service as well.


Richmond fellowship Tel: 01380 722800


Learning Difficulties

Learning difficulties team (Wiltshire Council) Tel: 0300 4560100

Advocacy service Tel: 01380 871900 www.wiltshirepeople first.org


Long term health/Chronic pain

Wiltshire Health trainers Tel: 0300 0034566




Relate www.relate.org.uk Tel: 0300 003 1781/ 01305 257 206


Sexual Abuse (recent and in the past)

Swindon Sanctuary (SARC) www.swindonsanctuary.co.uk


Counselling available in Devizes, Salisbury and Swindon 24 hour helpline 0808 168 0024


Revival Wiltshire www.revival-wiltshirerasac.org.uk/


Skills and Employment


Richmond fellowship Tel: 01380 722800



Veterans and Military Families


Help for Heroes ‘Hidden Wounds’


Tel: 01980 844 300


Southwest Veterans (AWP) www.swveterans.org.uk

Tel: 0300 555 0112


Combat Stress/Rethink 24 hour Helpline 0800 1381619


Wellbeing, Smoking Cessation, Weight Management


Wiltshire Health Trainers Tel: 0300 0034566 


Smoking Cessation – An advisor is available within the surgery please call for more details.



Online mental health services for children and young people aged 11-19


Kooth is a free online service that offers emotional and mental health support for children and young people. When you sign up you can choose an avatar, which helps to keep you safe and anonymous.  You can have a "drop-in" chat with a counsellor or therapist or book a one-to-one session.

Kooth’s counsellors and therapists are available until 10pm, 365 days a year. You can talk to other young people anonymously on the forums whenever you like, and keep an online journal.

Subscribing to Kooth means you can read its online magazine and maybe even write for it. You can also use Kooth to set goals with your online counsellor or therapist and keep a record of how you are doing. 

Evidence suggests that Kooth can help children and young people with a range of emotional and psychological problems.


Who is it suitable for?

Kooth is suitable for children and young people aged 11 to 19 (25 in some areas). It can help with lots of different problems, including family problems, eating disorders, loneliness, bullyinganxiety and depression.  The service is supported by and linked to CAMMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) 


How do I access it?

If you’d like to sign up with Kooth go to www.kooth.com and enter a user name and password. Then click on the dropdown menu to see if Kooth is available in your area.

If Kooth is available in your area, you’ll need to enter some information about yourself. None of the other young people who use Kooth will be able to see this so that you can stay safe and anonymous.


Will I have to pay?

No, Kooth is free to patients registered with a GP in Wiltshire (but it’s only available in some areas) and is only available up to a young persons 19th birthday.


Wiltshire CAMHS Online

For routine referrals young people can self- refer to CAMHS Online this can be done themsleves or by a parent/carer.  Please follow the link for more information:  www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/swb-referrals

Choose font size: A A A


Total visitors:441035 | Disclaimer