Complaints and Suggestions

Our aim is to provide the highest level of care for all our patients.

We will always be willing to hear if there is any way that you think that we can improve the service we provide.

If you have a complaint or any concerns about the service you have received from the Doctors or any of the personnel working in this practice, please let us know. We operate a practice complaint procedure as part of the NHS complaints system, which meets national criteria.

To view our complaints brochure please click here

Making a complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily either with the person concerned or with the Practice Manager and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so preferably, in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days. This helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

  • Within 12 months of the incident


  • Within 12 months of you discovering that you have a problem.

State your case clearly giving as much detail as you can:

If you are a registered patient, you can complain about your own care.

You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority.

Send your written complaint to:

Practice Manager, The Porch Surgery, Beechfield Road, Corsham, Wiltshire SN13 9DL or by email to: [email protected]

Download complaint form here

How We Handle Your Complaint

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.  We will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days and aim to have investigated the matter within 10 working days.  You may then receive a formal reply in writing, by email, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue.  If the matter is likely to take longer than this, we will let you know and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something, we can learn from this and to make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined, and a final response sent to you.

NHS England is responsible for purchasing primary care services such as GPs, dentists, pharmacists, and optical services.  If you feel it is more appropriate you may wish to raise your complaint with NHS England.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

We keep to the strict rules of confidentiality.  If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require written consent from the patient to confirm that they are unhappy and that we can deal with someone else about this.

What you can do next

Before making a formal complaint, you may find it helpful to seek advice from PALS – Patient Advice and Liaison Service.

Tel: 0300 561 0250

Email: [email protected]

We hope that, if you have a problem, you will use our practice complaints procedure.  We believe that this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and the opportunity to improve our practice.

You may feel that your complaint should be investigated at a higher level.  If this is the case, you can contact NHS England:

NHS England

PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

Tel:  0300 311 22 33

Email: [email protected]

You may like to be aware that you are also able to contact the NHS Ombudsman directly.  They will help you if you wish to make a complaint about the NHS in England.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP

Tel: 0345 015 4033

You may also find it helpful to contact the NHS complaints advocacy service. You can contact an advocacy service such as Healthwatch Wiltshire, by telephone: 01225 434218 or visit

They offer a free service to people making complaints about NHS services, and you may find them a valuable source of support.

Help us get it right

We constantly try to improve the service we offer. Please let us know when you think we have done something well or if you have any suggestions as to how we can do something better.

Making a suggestion

If you wish to make a suggestion please send your written suggestion to: Practice Manager, The Porch Surgery, Beechfield Road, Corsham, Wiltshire SN13 9DL or by email to: [email protected]