Until 1991 The Porch Surgery was based in a listed building on the High Street in Corsham. This building had been ‘the doctor’s house’ as far back as anyone can remember. During the Second World War, one thousand prefabs were built in Corsham for the war workers who came to labour in the factories constructed in the underground stone quarries. The larger population needed more doctors and by the late 1940’s early 1950’s four doctors worked from the surgery. Clinics would run for an hour in the morning from 9 am to 10 am, and an hour and a half in the evenings from 6 pm to 7.30 pm. To support the doctors during the 1950’s, three part-time receptionists were employed. All nursing staff in those days were employed by the County Council.
In the 1960’s Newlands Road and the shopping precinct were constructed. Two-way traffic along the High Street ceased and the surgery no longer witnessed double decker buses getting stuck in the High Street as they tried to pass each other! It was during this time that the then GP partners purchased the surgery premises in the High Street.
Expansion of the town and practice premises continued during the 1970’s and 1980’s. Doctors’ clinics were held on the ground floor and second floor with waiting rooms on each level. It became apparent that as the population of the town increased, more consulting rooms were needed and in 1991 a new purpose built surgery was constructed in Beechfield Road.
Today our practice population stands at around 11,300 patients. We have five GP partners and employ a team of over thirty-five staff to provide medical services to the residents of Corsham and the surrounding area.